The library participates with the IRS and Pennsylvania Department of Revenue to provide a limited number of Federal and State Tax forms for the convenience of the community. As soon as tax forms/publications become available, they are placed in our Tax Distribution Area located on the second floor of the library near the elevator.
Tax forms available on the second floor:
- 1040 Form
- 1040 Instructions
- 1040 EZ Form
- 1040 EZ Instructions
- 1040 A Form
- 1040 A Instructions
- Reproducible Book of Forms
Pennsylvania Tax forms are also at the library including the Rent Rebate Form.
The library serves as a venue for volunteers from the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program. This program offers free AARP Tax-Aide tax form assistance for low and moderate-income taxpayers, with special attention to those 60 and older. The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program has concluded for 2018.
Millions of Americans use IRS Free File to file their federal taxes. It’s safe, secure and free. Taxpayers can use either name-brand software or the Free File Fillable Forms. Combining IRS Free File with direct deposit is the quickest and safest way to get a refund.
Here are five things to remember about IRS Free File:
- Access Free File at IRS.gov. IRS Free File is available only through IRS.gov. Taxpayers can choose a Free File company offer that they qualify for and then click on that link to prepare and e-file the return.
- Free File Can Find Tax Breaks. The tax software’s question-and-answer format helps eligible taxpayers find tax breaks. This could include tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. The software then selects the appropriate tax forms and does the calculations automatically.
- It is Free for Everyone. Taxpayers with income of $66,000 or less can use brand-name software. Taxpayers who earned more can use Free File Fillable Forms. This option allows taxpayers to complete IRS forms electronically. It is best for those who are familiar with doing their own taxes.
- File from personal devices. Taxpayers may use their smartphones or tablets to electronically prepare and file their tax returns with IRS Free File through the IRS2Go app for Android and iOS devices or by visiting www.IRS.gov/freefile from the device.
- Easy Online Extensions. For those who cannot finish their return by the April 17 deadline, it’s easy to use Free File to request a six-month extension. An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. If taxpayers owe federal taxes, they should estimate the amount they owe and pay it with the extension request. This helps avoid penalties and interest.
Federal and State Tax Assistance Information at Peters Township Public Library
On January 4, the IRS announced that the 2018 tax filing season would begin on January 29. The IRS set the opening date to ensure the security and readiness of key tax processing systems in advance of the opening and to assess the potential impact of recent tax legislation on 2017 tax returns. The IRS is currently working to finalize the forms and instructions to reflect the legislation which passed in late December. As a result, some shipments may come later than normal. While most IRS tax forms, instructions, and publications will be available electronically on IRS.gov by the beginning of the filing season (Jan. 29), the printing and distribution process for printed products takes longer to complete.