UPDATED TUESDAY, AUGUST 4, 2020
Library Director Myra R. Oleynik shared the following message on Friday, June 26, 2020.
Great news! The Peters Township Public Library will open its doors to the public with limitations on Monday, June 29 at 10:00 a.m. As we work to provide you with safe, in-person services, we ask for your patience and support. Please understand that all services are not available yet. Programs and library clubs are on pause and will not be meeting for now. Library volunteers have not been contacted to help. Visit our events calendar for the dates and times of virtual programming. And there is still time to register for our Virtual Summer Reading Program for all ages with Reader Zone.
Other changes for you to be aware of:
• Our summer hours through September 8 will be Mondays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. We will be closed Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4.
• For your safety, our staff will be wearing masks. By order of the Pennsylvania Department of Health under the Disease Prevention and Control Act, masks are mandatory in all public spaces. A library staff member can provide you with a mask if you have forgotten yours.
• Staff will disinfect high-touch areas regularly. Scheduled evening cleanings will continue. Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the library. No food or drink permitted.
• In the Green Phase, we are under a limited capacity order. During your visit, you will see occupancy limit signs posted throughout the building. Please select your items for check out quickly so we may serve as many people as possible throughout the day.
• We have moved furniture maintaining social distancing practices, and no tutoring will be permitted at this time.
• Study rooms on the 2nd floor are temporarily closed and for staff use only.
• We will quarantine all returned materials for at least 72 hours before check-in by staff. Items will remain on your account during the quarantine time frame. Materials on shelves and displays are “out of quarantine.” A person browsing may have touched them. Keep your hands clean by using the hand sanitizer provided and avoid touching your face.
• Our book drop will remain closed but you can drop off materials in a plastic bag in our RETURN BINS during library hours. We are not able to accept book donations.
• Four computers on the 2nd floor have been socially distanced and will be available for public use. Schedule an appointment with your WAGGIN card 24 hours in advance. One 45-minute session per day depending upon availability. Call the Reference Desk during library hours at 724.941.9430 #2. Please bring your own headset and WAGGIN barcode to log in. Staff members will disinfect keyboards and mice between each use. We are unable to offer any personal help while using library computers.
• The Youth Services Department will be open for browsing. The Family Activity Center and Teen Room are unavailable. We have removed all toys, puppets, and puzzles. Book Bundles will be available for your convenience. Youth Services computers will not be available.
• The Meeting Room, Reading Room, Conference Room, and Café Lee remain closed. We are currently not accepting room reservation requests.
• No fines charged for overdue items through September 8. You can make a payment for lost or damaged items by credit card in person or by calling 724.941.9430 #5771.
• You can place a hold/request on items from our library catalog here. We will continue to offer our curbside pickup service by calling 724.941.9430 #1 to schedule. We are unable to request materials from other libraries at this time.
• For further updates please sign up for our e-newsletter or follow us on social media.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Updated Monday, June 22, 2020, at 8:00 a.m.
The Peters Township Public Library lobby is open for hold pickup ONLY. If you received an email, text, or phone call from the library to notify you that your items are “READY”, you may visit our lobby during these designated times to pick up your items:
Monday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
If you prefer Curbside Pickup Service, call 724.941.9430 #5 and leave us a message. We will call you back to schedule an appointment during library hours.
Place holds/requests anytime for your desired materials through the WAGGIN online catalog. Have your library card number and PIN ready to place a request online. Your PIN is usually the last 4 digits of your phone number. If you need help accessing your library account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to streamline this process.
Bins for RETURNS will be available during the library hours outlined above. Please bring your items to return in a plastic bag and place them inside the bin. All returned items are quarantined for 72 hours before being checked in.
All other areas in the library will remain closed to the public at this time. We are not able to accept book donations until further notice. Please do not put book donations in the RETURNS bins.
We will be wearing masks for you. Please wear your mask for us and practice social distancing during your visit to the library.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
Library Director Myra R. Oleynik sent out the following message on Thursday, June 4, 2020:
Dear PT Library Community,
As Washington County moves to the “green phase” on Friday, June 5, this is what you need to know right now about the Peters Township Public Library:
Please check your email for further updates about the official date for our phased reopening of the building and in-person library services. We appreciate your patience and look forward to safely serving you soon.
Myra R. Oleynik
Updated Saturday, August 8, 2020:
We only have 1 week left in our Summer Reading Challenge – that means only 1 week left to log your reading through Reader Zone!
Saturday, August 15 is the last day to log your reading. We will need a few days to compile all of the entries and pull the names of the winners. Winners will be contacted by email with directions to pick up their prizes. We ask that basket pickups take place within the week. You can come into the library or schedule a curbside pickup. We are not able to mail prize baskets.
Remember – if you have reached 50% of your goal, YOU GET A FREE PRIZE!
Swing by the library while we are open to pick up your Halfway Prize. Readers from Birth to Grade 12 also receive a Goody Bag after their first read so come get them!
Consistent with our library’s mission to open books, doors, and minds, you are invited to become part of our new PTPL Summer Reading Program – for all ages!
Due to the current health crisis, we are using a web-based program called Reader Zone for children and adults to track their reads this summer – no more paper logs to complete! We invite you to download the Reader Zone app for your Android or Apple device. If you prefer, you may go to the Reader Zone website from any internet-enabled device. You will need our unique Reader Zone code gr53a to join the program. Then start reading and track your titles!
Our Summer Reading Program starts on Monday, June 1 through to Saturday, August 15 with prizes and incentives along the way for all readers. For readers 18 years and up, we’re setting a special goal for you – read 8 books this summer! You may read whatever you like, from novels to children’s books, e-books, and listening to audiobooks counts too! You won’t have to worry about log sheets, and you’ll have all of your titles in one handy spot to share their book covers when others ask you, “Did you read anything good this summer?”
Please contact Shannon Pauley, Head of Youth Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This year’s program is being funded by The Peters Township Library Foundation.
Get the Reader Zone App!
Updated Monday, June 8, 2020:
We are happy to announce that in addition to our online e-resources and virtual programming, we continue to offer safe access to physical materials from the library through a curbside pickup service. Place a hold and reserve items online through the WAGGIN catalog or by phone. As we are quarantining returned materials for 72 hours, please give us a few days to prepare your materials. Once you receive an email notification that your items are ready, please call 724.941.9430 #1 and let us know you would like to schedule a curbside pickup.
~ For faster service, place holds/requests anytime for your desired materials through the WAGGIN online catalog. Have your library card number and PIN ready to place a request online. Your PIN is usually the last 4 digits of your phone number. If you need help accessing your library account, please email email@example.com to streamline this process.
~ You can also call the library to place a hold. Call 724.941.9430 and Press #1 on Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The library is closed on Sundays. Please leave a message if a staff member is not available for your call.
~ Please give us at least 48 hours to gather and prepare your requests as we are operating with very limited staff.
~ When you receive an email that your items are ready, please call 724.941.9430 #1 to schedule a curbside pickup. You will be given a number that designates your reserved parking spot for contactless pickup.
~ You are welcome to bring materials to return with you when you come to pick up your requests. Please place them in your trunk inside a plastic bag marked “RETURNS”. We recommend that you remove any breakable items from your trunk before your arrival.
~ At your scheduled pickup time, pull into your numbered parking spot. Pop open your trunk and remain in your car.
~ To provide contactless service, a library staff member will wear a mask and deliver your items in a bag directly to your trunk. Any items bagged inside your trunk marked for “RETURNS” will be taken from your vehicle and quarantined for 3 days.
What are you doing to protect the safety of library staff, library materials, and the community?
All library materials returned will be quarantined for at least three days before being recirculated. Social distancing will be practiced with only a limited number of staff in the building. Staff will wear masks and take frequent breaks to wash their hands. Frequent cleaning of high-touch areas will be practiced. Patrons and staff should not approach one another and respect the need for social distancing by remaining in their vehicles to provide for a safe pickup service.
May I request materials from other WAGGIN libraries?
Not at this time. Holds are currently limited to what the Peters Township Library owns. We cannot request books that are owned by other libraries at this time. Go to the Peters Township Library catalog here.
Do I need to get out of my car?
No, we ask that you remain in your car and pop open your trunk. We will close your trunk after we deliver your materials to provide for a contactless pickup.
May I return items when I come for my pickup?
Yes. Place them in a plastic bag inside your trunk marked “RETURNS”. After we deliver your materials to your vehicle we will retrieve your returns from your trunk.
May I return my items if I don’t have a pickup appointment?
Yes, The outdoor book drop will remain closed, but returns may be dropped off in our RETURNS bins located at the library front entrance. We can accept returns Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The library is closed on Sundays. All returned materials will be quarantined for 72 hours. Please bring your items to return in a plastic bag and place them inside the bin. If you notice a patron at the “Returns Only” area, please respect social distancing and remain in your vehicle until the previous patron has returned to his/her vehicle.
Do I need to wear a mask for pickup and dropoff?
For the safety of staff and all others, we ask that masks be worn by anyone who leaves his/her vehicle and who may come in contact with another person.
Which library materials may I get through curbside pickup?
Traditional library materials are available for curbside pickup with the exception of puppets. Video games – limit 1.
May I request items and pick them up on the same day?
Unfortunately, no. Due to limited staff, it will take time to collect requested items and prepare them for pickup. We appreciate your patience.
If I’m sick, may I still pick up items through the curbside service?
No. For the safety of library staff and our community, please do not schedule a curbside pickup if anyone in your household is ill.
Is the Book Drop open?
No. For more information about returning items, see the question above May I return my items if I don’t have a pickup appointment?
How long will this service be available?
We will offer curbside pickup as long as it is considered safe to continue. Any changes to our services will be announced via the library email newsletter, social media, and on our website.
I still have some things checked out right now; when are they due?
Any items currently checked out will be due June 30, 2020. While we’ve been closed, all items were automatically renewed so no late fees are accruing.
How long may I keep my new items?
Items will now have a 3-week loan period.
I returned my items but why do they still appear on my account?
Since we are quarantining all returned materials for 3 days, it will take several days for your items to be checked-in and your record cleared.
May I drop off any book donations?
No. We appreciate your generosity, but we are unable to accept book donations at this time.
What if I still have questions?
We’re happy to help! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.